Tuesday, May 31, 2005

In an effort to minimize my spam-like tendencies when it comes to my political views, everytime I want to shove my opinions down the throats of my dearest friends and family, I'm just going to put it here. That way you can come look if you want, and can continue to stick your silly little heads in the sand if you don't. :-)

Just teasing. Sort of. No really...I'm teasing.

Anyway, in today's message.....

It makes me crazy that they won't even TALK about the concept of how they'll get out of Iraq. They just keep throwing more money around without talking about the who/what/where/when/why and how of it. Plus since the last couple Iraq related votes in Congress, I keep hearing them say they're voting the way they are because they're not hearing from their constituents.

So here's my terryfaceplace action alert for Monday, May 31 2005! Feel free to plagerize. I took it from the CodePink site. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. You can look up your representative ratcheer.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Representative:

On May 11, in a sad and outrageous sign of this country's appalling priorities, President Bush signed into law the $82 billion supplemental war appropriations bill, providing ongoing funding for the U.S. military occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan and including the outrageous Real ID act – the greatest assault on immigrants at home in recent history.

This war has now cost the U.S. more than $200 billion. More seriously, the U.S. has lost 1,600 soldiers and more than 100,000 Iraqis have died.

Yet, there was little debate during the supplemental about what to do next in Iraq. As a voter and taxpayer, I am concerned that the administration and congress refuse to even discuss our exit strategy while allocating more money. I believe that we need a plan for leaving Iraq.

Many claim that a plan would weaken our effort in Iraq. But a withdrawal plan will help both Iraq and the U.S. For Iraqis, a prompt major reduction in foreign forces is crucial to quelling the violence and giving the Iraqis a chance for true democracy.

For Americans, a plan will help ensure that we will not be seen as running from the insurgents when we do bring our troops home. A clear plan will help diffuse the insurgency and will decrease the danger our troops face daily.

I urge you to co-sponsor Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey’s (D-CA) resolution, H. Con Res. 35 calling for a plan for withdrawal. Woolsey notes, “It’s time for the U.S. to be Iraq’s ally and partner, not its occupier. It’s time to give Iraq back to its own people. And it’s time to truly support our troops - by bringing them home.”, and I strongly agree.

Without a plan, we are being asked to pay with no end in sight. And that's unacceptable.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home