Monday, May 30, 2005

There was an article in yesterday's NY Times Magazine about mothers of Marines in Iraq. Good article.

Frankly, this highlights one of my own difficulties with this war. How does one oppose the war and support the troops and their families. I do know that within the antiwar movement there is a significant military perspective. Iraq Veterans Against the War. Gold Star Families. Military Families Speak Out. GI Rights Hotline. One of the big issues/objections of this antiwar movement is that the war is not legitimate or just, and that Bush has betrayed the military by sending them to fight in a war that he wanted but had to sell to the American people and force upon the rest of the world. To me and many others, that's not supporting our troops. I've seen no opposition to the troops themselves, other than one report by an untrustworthy source.

That said, I know that many see us an unpatriotic or unsupportive of the troops. That's the party line, and a lot of people do blame the antiwar movement of the 60s and 70s for the bad end in Vietnam and the way veterans were treated upon their return. I could argue that point, but that's not my point today...

Actually, I'm not sure what my point is...I'm rambling. That article made me cry. I think a lot about those who are over there and their families who are sitting here waiting to hear that their children are ok. I have friends and family who are impacted by this war. I live in a military town and see the funerals and memorials occuring on a regular basis. This is in part why I'm personally opposed to the war, and it bothers me to think that others see what I do as an insult or worse. My brain understands why it's like this, but my heart doesn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home