Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I sent Senator Feinstein an email this morning because she's starting to piss me off.

Dear Senator Feinstein,
I just read that you are one of the co-sponsors of the resolution that flag burning should be constitutionally banned. I find that appalling. I believe that one of the key indicators of how free a country is to be how well the government accepts debate, dissent and even insult. As you well know, it's largely a symbolic gesture since flag burning incidents in this country are extremely rare. However I am 100% certain that you can not legally force people to respect the flag. Since the Republicans are sure to vote for it in the House and the Senate, and are hoping the Democrats are too scared to oppose it there's a good chance your resolution will pass and be forwarded on to the states. I believe this is an symbol of how much this country has lost. Free speech is being compromised, and I will fight that at every turn. How in the world can we claim to be some sort of moral authority in the world while we're on this path to crush freedom and dissent in our own country.

Senator Feinstein, I have been a Democrat all my life and am proud of my Democratic values. I deeply respect our rights of personal freedom, and liberty. I have voted for you every single time. I am starting to consider that a mistake. You've done many good things for this country, and I appreciate that, but I feel you've made a shift to the right and I can not support that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home