Wednesday, June 08, 2005

On Sunday an elderly man came up to the Code Pink group and asked me why we were there, and wanted to know if we were for peace or against the war. He said he didn't want to be against anything, but he could be for peace. I told him that was just fine with me, and he stood there with us for about half an hour.

My first thought was that he was kind of a funny guy...well, he was, but that's really irrelevant. It's stuck in my mind though, and I had an ephiphany! (ok, maybe not....I just like the word.) I think he had a point worth remembering though. People will be more responsive to something positive. I think that on a larger scale, that's what's happened to the Democrats. They're so busy being "against" that it's hard to see what they're "for". It's those pecking ducks again...

I like the Code Pink gals, and their dedication but the protest/rally thing isn't really a very effective means to accomplish anything. I think it's worth getting out there and doing it, but it's passive, and it's effectiveness is limited by the negative connotations associated with even just the word "protest". I say it's passive because I don't feel that I'm doing anything that will change anything. I'm just standing there and people's (positive and negative) comments are just bouncing off us. It's not like we're doing anything to change anyone's mind. Like I've said, we're just a handy dandy reminder service. Don't get me wrong....I think it's great that us like-minded folks get together regularly, and make our little stand. It also helps me to remember that there's really a groundswell of opposition to the militaristic inclinations of the administration. We really do get an enthusiastic response from the vast majority of people. It's just not the right niche for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home