Sunday, August 28, 2005

The fundraiser was very successful. We raised enough to pay airfare for two to DC, a donation to the Crawford Peace House, and a little nest egg for operating expenses. Woo and hoo!

We met lots of very nice people too. We only had two people gripe at us...as far as I noticed anyway. Nelisse came by with a cooler of drinks, a chair and a bunch of beautiful cuttings from her yard that we gave out for small donations. An Iraqi woman came to see us and said that her organization of Iraqi women know that Code Pink cares about what happens to the women in Iraq, so she wants to join us. Her husband bought two of Candace's paintings. We got an overwhelmingly positive response from people, and sold lots of goodies. I have GOT to start remembering to bring my camera to these things. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

We had two spaces and we put up canopies and our 12 ft "Women for Peace" sign and my fuzzy pink peace sign that I made for the Pride Parade. We covered all the tables in pink and laid out the goodies. People we buying things as we unloaded the trucks. It was a beautious sight.

A middle-ish aged woman was rolling toward us in her motorized cart and she had American flags flying from the back of her chair, and I could see a "support the troops" button on her shirt. She had on a cap with a flag. I must admit I thought, "oh no, she's going to yell at us" (partly because the previous yeller had been a similarly attired woman). She came up to me and told me she supports what we're doing and in fact Cindy Sheehan had given her the support the troops pin (which on closer inspection said something to the effect of "support our troops, bring them home now.") She talked about how much it meant to her, and I breathed a small sigh of relief.

Tomorrow night, it's onward to the beach for a sunset, candlelight vigil outside the Hotel del Coronado.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home