Saturday, September 03, 2005

My goal here at blogger has a mixed purpose because it has evolved over time. I've been thinking about how I use this space, and have decided that I'm going to use it to announce events I'm involved or affiliated with, report on my own activism, post links to relevant or interesting articles, and occasionally rant a teensy little bit. I didn't know what it would become when I first started this endeavor.

I've sub-titled this place Confessions of a Reluctant Activist, because frankly I'd rather be laying under a palm tree on a sandy beach with the cabana boy serving me pina colada and rubbing lotion on my back, but here I am instead....attending meetings, organizing, protesting, attending vigils, blogging in my little blog, and thinking all the freaking time about this damnable war. I am completely unable to sit silently by while these things are happening. The human and financial cost of this war is unacceptable to me.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not unhappy about what I'm doing. I'm just unhappy that I have to do it. I wish that it where not so.....

Today's mind-numbing statistic: The financial cost of war to the state of California as of 9/3/05 has thus far been $24,216,807,900.00 which is enough to build 1,727,449 low cost housing units. Instead, we're building over a dozen military bases in Iraq.

The priorities of the administration disgust me, so I see it as my responsibility as a citizen to express that opinion. My hope is that my standing up in opposition will enable others to do the same. We've been fearfully silent for much too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home