Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fast for Peace in San Diego, Tuesday pm

After work tonight I went downtown to see how Fernando is doing on the first day of his fast. I thought of him this morning when I woke up, and it was raining and windy and freezing. Not Buffalo freezing, but definitely San Diego freezing. Downtown is right on the waterfront too, so it gets a little extra chilly. I didn't know if he had anyone with him or not, and I keep thinking about him while I was at work. So at the end of my day I hopped on the trolley and went downtown. Of course, he wasn't alone.

It's not been raining since this morning, but the wind blew hard and cold all day long. When I arrived at the Federal Building, there they were...Six of them bundled up in layers of clothes and sleeping bags on the sidewalk. There were introductions all around, and shamefully I am now unable to remember any one's name except Fernando who I already knew, and Jeeni Cricenzo. Jeeni ran for Congress in the 49th District in 2006, and she also has a consistantly good blog at Daily Kos.

At one point a cop stopped by and said he'd be working the night shift and would check on them periodically to make sure no one was bothering them. They only have a 6 am to 6 pm permit to be in the plaza at the federal building, and they had to move away from there during the night. There's a place right across the street, that was actually a little more sheltered, and Fernando asked the cop if they could set up a small tarp they had with them in case it started raining again. No problem.

I hung around for a while, but had told my husband I wouldn't be too long, so I left around 5:45. They were planning a candlelight vigil from 6 to 9 and people were starting to arrive.

To spice things up a bit, on the way home on the trolly three (redacted) kids jumped a fence and threw a rock or some other projectile at the trolley. It hit a window, and shards of glass flew everywhere. It scared the bejeezus out of me and everyone else on the train. Luckily, no one was hurt, and that's a whole different story anyway.

When I got home, hubby told me it had HAILED shortly before I got home. Freaky weather in SD.

I told him about everyone down at the federal building, and he said, "let's take them a tent." What a nice guy I married! We drove down there with my son's 2-3 person dome tent, and I think that's just what the doctor ordered.

Did I mention it's freezing out there? Good grief.

Hubby saved the day again after watching four of us who'd never put a tent together, try to put a tent together in the wind. Good times. Of course, the News Guy filmed that unintentionally bit of comedy. Thankfully, my husband quickly found a spot to park, and gave us an emergency lesson in tent building. Whew. Jeeni climbed right in, so I think it was a hit. Now I won't worry so much about them out there in the weather while they're doing what needs to be done. It's important work to remind people of the needless suffering that this war has caused.

If you have time, go say hello. Join them, hold a sign for a bit, or just give them a little moral support.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home