Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I was standing on a street corner, minding my own business....


Three women, seventeen lanes of traffic, and one student from the Dana Rohrabacher School of Political Discourse who screeched, "I hope they cut your heads off!!!!"

My goodness!

I got an email from Barbara that said she was going to the Jeremy Scahill appearance in La Mesa tonight to discuss his book, Blackwater, The Rise of the Worlds Most Powerful Mercenary Army....but before it started she'd be at this intersection to protest. Well, I didn't want to go home, and then have to leave again within the hour, so I decided to join her and whomever else was there. Moveon called for a protest, and I don't know that we were an Official MoveOn Protest, but we were out that flapping our signs in the wind.

We were there for about an hour. Lots of thumbs up and honks. There were a few people like our friend I mentioned above. One guy leaned out the window of his truck and yelled, "You're so stupid. What good do you think you're doing?"

Later this evening a woman approached Barbara at the Scahill event and told her thank you for being on that corner! She'd been driving home and was thinking she was too tired to go to the Democratic Club meeting, and then she saw us and decided if we could do that, she could go to her meeting. How about that? It did do some good! That rude man in the truck was wrong.

When it was time to go, we left our little corner, and went to hear Jeremy Scahill talk about Blackwater. He tailored his talk a bit to the fact that he's here in San Diego where they want to build their training facility, and he so he gave a good, solid background of the company.

BTW, Scahill is a very interesting, compelling speaker, and you should go see him when he comes around on his book tour.

He said he went to Potrero today to see the area where they want to build, and commented on how beautiful and peaceful it is in that valley. It really distresses me that they want to build this in that area. Not that I want this anywhere, but really really really not THERE.

It was fun to check out the Democratic Club tonight. It was SRO in that room. They had about 300 people in attendance, and they sold all the books that Borders brought for Jeremy to sign. It was a good crowd of people, and I had lots of face time (ha ha) with folks, talking about the issue and encouraging them to sign the petition opposing Blackwater in California. Former congressman Lionel Van Deerlin was there. I gave him my petition pitch he said, "you don't have to convince me". :-)

And the winner for best line I heard all evening is:
"85 years ago when I was 16 years old...."


Uh....maybe it's time for the next generation to start getting involved in the Dem Club here.

4 Comments:

Blogger nunya said...

Hi Terry,

I'm so glad you went. I saw him the other night and I had a hard time putting the book down this morning to see what was going on in the internet.

:) :)

5/03/2007 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger peter said...

dear terry,

thanks for the report.

peace, peter

5/03/2007 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Did you see him the night before in San Diego, nunya?

I started the book this morning. So far, it's a good read. Disturbing, but good reading.

5/03/2007 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger nunya said...

Yes, I saw him at he Unitarian Church.
I saw Jeremy Scahill speak tonight

5/05/2007 08:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home