Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What the hell

Todd at Courage Campaign writes about Pedro Guzman, a US citizen, who was "mistakenly deported".

Mistakenly deported, and now he's missing in Mexico. Mr Guzman is developmentally disabled, and his mother has spent the last month searching for him in Tijuana. She's had to file suit against the US government to enlist their help in returning Mr Guzman to his home in Lancaster, CA. He had been arrested for trespassing at a junkyard, and in April he was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He'd been there about a month, when his mother got a call from him saying he had been deported and was in Tijuana. They lost the connection before getting enough information to find him, and he's not been heard from since.

What the hell? I'm appalled.

As Todd said,
Pedro Guzman is the victim of what happens when you merge the worst of California's broken prison system with the worst of our broken federal immigration system.


uh-huh.

What made me even sicker was finishing that article and moving on to the one about Edith Isabel Rodriguez who died in the waiting area of the emergency room while they ignored her and walked around her body as she was writhing in pain on the floor. Her boyfriend and a bystander called 911 when they couldn't get anyone there to help her, but they also did nothing, so the boyfriend went to the police and told them she needed help. They helped by running a warrant check, found an outstanding warrant and arrested her. She died as they were placing her in the squad car.

This happened at a hospital run by the County of Los Angeles. There's no excuse for it.
Tale of last 90 minutes of woman's life

Again, what the hell?

I'm done with the news for today. That's all I can take. I'll leave the racial implications of those two articles for you to contemplate.

3 Comments:

Blogger nunya said...

The last time I was in the ER an injured construction worker went in in front of quite a few of us who had been waiting for hours. This was in La Jolla, at a hospital which no longer allowed Medi-Cal patients. The nurse had trouble getting his friend's attention to go into the back to "translate" for him until she switched to Spanish. I have no doubt that he went to the head of the line because he was more seriously injured than anyone who was waiting.

6/13/2007 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Before my current career, I worked in hospitals and one of my jobs was admissions, including ER admitting. When patients walk into the ER they get triaged and prioritized. First come first served doesn't quite work when the person having a heart attack is behind the guy with a splinter in his finger. I actually had a patient yell at me once because he'd stepped on a nail, but I let the elderly man who was short of breath go in before him.
"I was here first! I could get lockjaw!"

I wish.

That said, I don't think it had anything to do with the wait. I think they were ignoring her because they'd decided she was a "problem" patient. I'd almost be willing to bet they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her (it appears they were negligent there too) so they decided she was just faking it to get drugs, and they were wrong. I don't know, but the odds are pretty good that's the case.

6/13/2007 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger nunya said...

This is what the sit-chee-ation looks like to me:

This is how big Ag, insurance companies and big land development companies make money and screw the taxpayers AND the government (that they hate, unless it's throwing "subsidies" at them) at the same time.
Bordering on CAFTA
More Trade, Less Immigration

Yet in the end, claims that NAFTA would dampen illegal-immigration pressures were decisively disproved. Our Mexican immigrant population, most of it illegal, exploded during the 1990s, from 4.2 million to 9.2 million, reaching a whopping 10.5 million by 2004. Some of this would have happened even without NAFTA -- assuming we pursued the same policy of non-enforcement of the immigration laws -- but it was supercharged by NAFTA

Closed California Hospitals
1996 to Present as of September 2006

6/15/2007 02:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home