Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday's terryfaceplace economic report

In today's today DayLateDollarShort News report, we might be slipping into a recession!

Duh.

They should have just asked those of us on the lower rungs of the economic ladder. I could have told you this was coming a year ago. Actually, I might have told you this was coming a year ago. I'm too tired this morning to look. I'm exhausted from doing more with less.

And can someone please tell me why it now costs over $10 for a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, and a gallon of milk? This is killin' me! I have a tall, active, hungry teenaged son here.

3 Comments:

Blogger nunya said...

You found all that for ten bucks? I looked at that stuff the other day and walked out in disgust: 4.99 for 18 eggs, 3.89 for bread, and 5.99 for a gallon of milk (organic milk only). So much for having an all American breakfast, eh?

I have discovered the joy of trying new things at stores that cater to immigrants. The basics are much cheaper there. I actually like lentil soup, curried potatoes, and stir fry vegetables, and the thick black russian rye bread (no caraway seeds) is fabulous and less than 3.00 a loaf.

1/13/2008 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Let's see. $4.69 for the milk, a dozen eggs for $3.99 and a loaf of cheap, store brand wheat bread for $2. Just over $10.

I agree about the ethnic, neighborhood markets too. Now I want curried potatoes.

1/13/2008 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger nunya said...

:) North Park Produce, Plowboys (Walmart wiped out the one closest to me, dang it), are good ones. Big Lots has dried beans for 1/2 what they go for in regular grocery stores. I've come to love bulgar pilaf, and the difference between a European lentil soup and a Middle Eastern one makes it more attractive to eat more often. Plenty of protein for the boy, too. My kid has gone vegetarian, which makes Indian food suddenly more attractive. Chickpeas (hummus on pita is a cheap high protein snack) are loaded with good things. It's a good thing she likes it, but I hate chickpeas.

Hang in there sweetums!

1/14/2008 02:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home