Friday, April 18, 2008

Just shut up already

Good grief. It's that gawdawful Joe Lieberman again. Why won't he just stay home and shut up? Once again he commits felonious stupidity on Faux News.

NAPOLITANO: Hey Sen. Lieberman, you know Barack Obama, is he a Marxist as Bill Kristol says might be the case in today’s New York Times? Is he an elitist like your colleague Hillary Clinton says he is?

LIEBERMAN: Well, you know, I must say that’s a good question. I know him now for a little more than three years since he came into the Senate and he’s obviously very smart and he’s a good guy. I will tell ya that during this campaign, I’ve learned some things about him, about the kind of environment from which he came ideologically. And I wouldn’t…I’d hesitate to say he’s a Marxist, but he’s got some positions that are far to the left of me and I think mainstream America.

Then he babbles a bit about Obama's "bitter" brouhaha. Bleh. I'm sick of it.

Not to mention, bitter.

Speaking of which, why is it that Hillary and McCain get indignant over Obama's remarks, yet McCain's Senior Advisor can say,
People in the country are in a very bad mood, and they want to have change.


and it's ignored...as it should be. That's not what the article is about, but the comment sure jumped out at me when I saw it. It wouldn't have if there hadn't been a fuss over Obama's "bitter" comments.

So let it be said, one and for all, in the terryfaceplace Friday Night Water is Wet and the Sky is Blue News Report, there are a lot of bitter people in very bad mood out here. Can we be done with this silliness now? Thank you.

My stance hasn't softened on Liberman though. He should still stay home and keep his mouth shut if he's got nothing sensible to say.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Lieberman did have something to say. It was "I really don't relate to Obama and I won't be voting for him. Further, since I define myself as in the 'mainstream', I'm going to imply that no one else in the 'mainstream' will vote for him either. 'Mainstream' people should vote for MY candidate (McCain)."

-----

Obama probably should have said, once the "bitter" comments came out something on the order of:

"Well, I have trouble understanding why people that I am advocating for aren't supporting my campaign. Like most people, I engaged in a little armchair pop psychology.

"That WAS kind of oblivious, wasn't it? Also rather dismissive. Well, now thatI know one of my foibles, I'll keep it in check better. The last thing I want to do is create a wedge that keeps people I want to help from talking with me. Sorry folks. Won't happen again."

4/21/2008 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

I don't think he said anything wrong or to be apologetic about. If you pick words out of his comments and say Obama said people are BITTER or CLINGING, it'll create a bad impression where none is warranted. That's what the media has done for the most part. When you look at his comments in context, it's not offensive. It strikes me as a truth that most politicians wouldn't dare utter because they know those hot button words would be used against them. He even admits he didn't speak very artfully, but he DID speak honestly.

" Here's how it is: in a lot of these communities in big industrial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, people have been beaten down so long, and they feel so betrayed by government, and when they hear a pitch that is premised on not being cynical about government, then a part of them just doesn't buy it.

. . .

But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. "

4/27/2008 03:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/17/2008 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home